Proper iron belt buckles.

General discussion area for people interested in the ALRA.
Doc Mark
Patriot Number: 224
level: Scout

Proper iron belt buckles.

Post by Doc Mark » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:58 pm

Greetings Brothers and Sisters,

I am reworking an old belt I used to use back when we were trying to be "Mountain folks" The current buckle is a large D-shaped iron buckle, and in the research I've done so far, that type of buckle is not period correct to the 18th century. I also have a more square iron buckle, made by Ed Wilde, quite a few years ago, and I'm thinking that this buckle would be far more correct than the D buckle would be. Check these out, and let me know your thoughts. Thanks, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc Mark
ALRA #224
DSCN5541.JPG
DSCN5540.JPG
DSCN5539.JPG
The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Ty Davis
Site Admin
Patriot Number: 198
level: Patriot

Re: Proper iron belt buckles.

Post by Ty Davis » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:08 am

Mark,

From what I have seen and read about on other sites, these are the only known types of iron buckles in our period. If someone has information to the contrary, I look forward to seeing it.
Attachments
11235443_719980591770_453919326078304215_n.jpg
Ty Davis #198
Factor
GA St. Lt.

Doc Mark

Post by Doc Mark » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:50 am

Hey, Ty,

Thanks, very much, for the info, and photo. In truth, in Newmann's Rev War book, and in the book on excavations at Fort Ligonier, I have seen "D" type buckles, but none that are as elongated as the on I currently have on my belt. I've found in both books buckles which look very similar to the one I got from Ed Wilde, too. Where did you get those iron buckles in the photos you shared? I'm getting my goods and equipments ready for the 30 miler that's coming up in August, and want to decide on buckles in time to make changes, if needed, for that trip. Thanks, again, and I still hope to join you Gentlemen in Linville Gorge this year. However, isn't next year the anniversary scout of LG? I don't recall, exactly. Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Mark
The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Ty Davis
Site Admin
Patriot Number: 198

Post by Ty Davis » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:16 pm

That's just a random pic I snagged off the net. Roy Najecki sells them and Randy Wolfe has them sometimes.
Ty Davis #198
Factor
GA St. Lt.

Burke1777
Patriot Number: 94

Post by Burke1777 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:37 am

Doc Mark wrote: ... However, isn't next year the anniversary scout of LG? I don't recall, exactly. ...

The 20 year anniversary of the first official "Linville Gorge Death March" will be in 2016. We may have to raid the rest homes to get participants, but we will do something interesting that year.

WFB, III
Wm. Brown, III
on the waters of the Catawba river near Burke courthouse

Doc Mark

Post by Doc Mark » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:39 pm

Hey, Ty, and William,

Ty, thanks for the info on the buckles. I'm running out of time, and will very probably use what I have, as there are more important things left to do than shop for more buckles.

William, thank you for that info on the 2016 LG trip. I will be there, God Willing, and hope to join you this year, too, if our work load allows me to take the time to fly back your way. I'll have just come home from the Western, when it will just about be time to head your way for the LG trip this year. Still, I do hope to make it for both years trips to the Gorge. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Mark

ALRA 154
Patriot Number: 154

Post by ALRA 154 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:18 am

Accccck! 30 miler in August! If that were in Missouri I believe I would shoot myself in the foot,
sit home at the dinning room table and watch bread mold.
Tom

Delbert Hupp #169
Patriot Number: 169

Post by Delbert Hupp #169 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:57 am

And I would help!
Delbert Hupp #169
Missouri St. Lt.

Never argue with the stupid!........They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

Doc Mark

Post by Doc Mark » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:31 am

Hey, Delbert,

Let's just go ahead and amputate Tom's foot, and get ahead of the game. That way, he won't have to shoot himself in the foot, and he can get on with his hobby of watching bread mold!!! You hold him down, and I can remove that pesky foot in around 3 1/2 minutes, without a single problem!! No need to thank me, Tom, just taking care of you, as would ANY of our friends who know you!!!! <VBG!> Take care, and God Bless!

Doc

Delbert Hupp #169
Patriot Number: 169

Post by Delbert Hupp #169 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:50 pm

I meant I was going to bring the bread! ;)
Delbert Hupp #169
Missouri St. Lt.

Never argue with the stupid!........They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!