Two year old Esicar bacon?

General discussion area for people interested in the ALRA.
Doc Mark
Patriot Number: 224
level: Scout

Two year old Esicar bacon?

Post by Doc Mark » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:25 pm

Howdy, All,

A few years ago, our woods walk team at the ALRA National Gathering came in 3rd place, and as such, each of us got a small package of Esicar's Dry Cured Smoked Bacon for our prizes. I put mine in the freezer after getting home, and forgot about it. Then, a few months ago, I "found" that bacon, and moved it into the refrigerator, where it's been kept super cold since then. For those that have used this bacon in the past, do you think it's still worth cooking and enjoying? It looks fairly normal to me, other than having a greater fat to meat ratio. I'm out of my regular bacon, right now, and would like to give this a try, if someone has had a similar experience with this same bacon from the old Esicar's Smokehouse. I look forward to hearing what you think.... and so does my stomach! Thanks, and God Bless!

Mark
ALRA #224
The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Ty Davis
Site Admin
Patriot Number: 198
level: Patriot

Re: Two year old Esicar bacon?

Post by Ty Davis » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:52 pm

I can't imagine anything would be wrong if it has been in the freezer and fridge the whole time. Slice off a piece and give it a test.
Ty Davis #198
Factor
GA St. Lt.

Doc Mark

Post by Doc Mark » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:41 pm

Ty Davis wrote:I can't imagine anything would be wrong if it has been in the freezer and fridge the whole time. Slice off a piece and give it a test.
Hey, Ty,

I was thinking the same thing. Well, in for a penny, in for a pound. If you don't ever hear from me again, you'll know what happened to me!! I'll let you know if it was worth eating. Thanks, and God Bless!

Mark
The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Larry Schleicher
Patriot Number: 86

Post by Larry Schleicher » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:04 pm

Mark to be safe why don't you send the bacon to me. I will pay the postage.

Ty Davis
Site Admin
Patriot Number: 198

Post by Ty Davis » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:28 pm

I'll split it with you Larry! ;)
Ty Davis #198
Factor
GA St. Lt.

Doc Mark

Post by Doc Mark » Sat May 02, 2015 9:48 am

Morning, Larry and Ty,
You Gentlemen are all heart!! I'll let you know how it turns out..... if it tastes horrible, or I get sick, I'll go ahead and send the rest to you Guys!

Mark

Doc Mark

Post by Doc Mark » Sat May 02, 2015 12:42 pm

Well.........

Ty and Larry, looks like you Gents dodged a bullet with this one. I just sliced up the Esicar's bacon, and noticed a rather foul smell coming from it. Thought it might have been the smoking flavors that they had used to cure the bacon. Anyway, I got 4 nice slices out of it, and put them in the pan to cook them up. The hotter they got, and more foul they smelled. Now, that stink is all over the house, and the cooked bacon looks just like it smells, nasty, kicked-over, past its prime, and most definitely not fit to eat!!! I seriously don't think even a dog would eat it, but would rather turn up it's nose, and slink away!!

Sad to say, but I should have cooked up that bacon years ago, instead of letting it go to waste. Having smelled it many times in the surgery, that bacon smelled exactly like a putrefied limb, in horrid need of amputation and disposal!!! Yes, that is EXACTLY like the old Esicar's bacon smelled!! Oh, well...... Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Disappointed Doc (who is, at this very moment, enjoying some excellent thick-sliced, applewood smoked bacon from a local store)!!

Larry Schleicher
Patriot Number: 86

Post by Larry Schleicher » Mon May 04, 2015 2:42 pm

I think you are trying to pull our leg. That bacon should not have gone bad. If it really did you need to check your freezer.
Anyway, we won't waste good bacon on you again.

Larry

Doc Mark

Post by Doc Mark » Mon May 04, 2015 11:52 pm

Hey, Larry,

I love good bacon, but unfortunately, this stuff had kicked over by the time I tried to cook it. You can ask Cynthia, it was really a nasty experience. Next time, I won't go so long before cooking it up, and will cook and enjoy it as soon as I get back home! Looks like Esicar's went out of business, though, so it will have to come from some other place.

Every Good Wish,
Mark (who does love his bacon, as long as it doesn't stink up the house!) <VVVBG!>

ALRA 154
Patriot Number: 154

Post by ALRA 154 » Mon May 11, 2015 3:01 pm

Smells nasty, kicked-over, past it's prime,................. ahhhh Mark are we still talking about the bacon here?
Tom