melting pitch to repair a leather canteen.

General discussion area for people interested in the ALRA.
Doc Mark
Patriot Number: 224
level: Scout

melting pitch to repair a leather canteen.

Post by Doc Mark » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:52 am

Morning, All,

I bought a "Mary Rose" leather canteen from the fairly well-known cordwainer, John Bush, many years ago, and liked it quite a bit. Then, when out on a solo scout once, I slipped and fell right on top of it, cracking it's internal sealing pitch to the point that it now leaks like a sieve! :oops: :x :shock: OH, well.... easy come, easy go, eh?

Well, years ago, I bought some pine pitch, not the great black stuff, but yellow, instead, to repair this nice old canteen, but have never done so. I seem to remember that the technique involved using a tin can, inside a pot of water, like a double-boiler, to melt the pitch, carefully pour the melted pitch into the leather canteen, and continue swirling it around (carefully!) until it dried. As I remember, not doing the swirling, just caused the pitch to run to the bottom of the canteen and dry there, leaving you with less internal volume and a still leaky canteen!!

Do I remember this correctly, or is my single remaining brain cell wandered off track, yet again?!! ;) :roll: Thanks, for any suggestions, as I'm finally ready to repair my old JB canteen, and would like to get it right. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc Mark
ALRA #224
Western Partisan
The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Larry Schleicher
Patriot Number: 86
level: Patriot

Re: melting pitch to repair a leather canteen.

Post by Larry Schleicher » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:24 pm

Mark,
I have done a repair to a tin canteen. I first warmed up the canteen to get out what I could of the old stuff. Funny what comes out, makes you wonder how you did not get sick, especially if it was bees wax. After it cooled I poured in the melted pitch caped the canteen and rolled it around for a few seconds then poured out the excess. With pitch you can repeat the process and it does adhear to rust.
Pitch will last forever if you don't fall on it.

Larry S.

Doc Mark
Patriot Number: 224
level: Scout

Re: melting pitch to repair a leather canteen.

Post by Doc Mark » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:51 pm

Evening, Larry,

Many thanks, Sir! That's pretty much what I decided to do, and we'll see how it all turns out. Hey, if it works, then I'll be a happy camper, and if not, well... since it already leaks, I've lost nothing in the try, eh?! Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Mark
The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.