some tidbits from period journals

General discussion area for people interested in the ALRA.
dw25650
Patriot Number: 37
level: Patriot

some tidbits from period journals

Post by dw25650 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:35 pm

These are online and appear to have been scanned digitally.
Dave
Travels in the American Colonies (1916)
Author: National Society of the Colonial Dames of America, Newton Dennison Mereness, .
Publisher: The Macmillan Company
Year: 1916
Possible copyright status: NOT_IN_COPYRIGHT
Language: English
Digitizing sponsor: Google
Book contributor: Harvard University
Collection: americana

TRAVELS IN THE AMERICAN COLONIES

COLONEL FLEMING'S JOURNAL, 1779-1780

Jan. igih. Set out for Harrodsburg and reached Lexington 6 miles from Bryants so excessive cold we were afraid of being frost bit the ~ night violently c o ld ; -my horse was turned out by Robt Paterson who neglected to unstop the bell and could not be found when the other horses were brought up — the other Gentlemen went on to Mr. Tods
where they were to wait till I got up to them. — they made fiddle strings of the Sinues of the spine of the buffalo and sewed their mockasins with them being very strong and when dried very easily divided into Small fibers — so that this Animal is of the greatest service, of the horns they make Combs etc. the flesh is their common food, the Skins tanned makes a good leather but a little spongier than some Cattle, the hair on the skin in May, June and July is short smooth and fine, in the winter the coat thickens turns wooly and Feby is at the best this they spin into yarn and work it into coarse clothes like wool, in the spring they shed this wooly coat —

March 77.
I had lived for a constancy on poor dried Buffalo bull beef cured in the smaok ^ without salt and dressed by boiling it in water or stewing it without any addition but a piece ^f TnHian hnc cake whick made my breakfast and the sam^ vfoT-dinnet rr- it was owing to this coarse food that I had such a thick vicid and black blood.

May iph. Left Camp after 7 o'clock a.m. in about i^ Miles passed the Graves of a Family that perished in the Winter they had encamped on a little rising the waters of the Creek breaking over the Banks surrounded them, ix gaining hardy extinguished their lire^ The Husband endeavoured to swim over to get fire from People not far jfrom them but was lost in the Attempt his wife and some iChildren perished in the Night with the extremity of the 'iWeather.

May 22. Breakfast at Bakers some days before a party of Indians attacked a house on Nonachucky ' had two of their party killed. Our People were relieved by some people that came up to their Assistance. A man was either killed or taken Prisoner in Carters Valley, halted at Grays three miles from Shelbys and was overtaken by a party who left Kentucky some days after we did and who met with Wimer one of the Lexington party at Martins Cabbin Powells Valley, when the party was attacked he quit his horse with a design to fight them but seeing his companions dispersed he was obliged to run and was fired at by an Indian. Wimer soon after falling by stepping into a hole the Indian thinking he had shot him run up to Wimer with his tomahawk and knife without his gun, Wimer recovering hiitlself presented his gun at the Indian who stopt short in Amaze and standing motionless was shot down. Wimer then ran off and blundering a second time fell in a hollow place, the Indians loosing his tract he loaded his gun and observing an Indian running toward him shot at him with a zest 50 yards and thinking he wounded him in the belly he was no longer pursued and made his Escape he discovered another party of fifteen whom he avoided, and got to where Skeggs Party overtook him, inable to go further from his Legg and knee being much swelled. Tomlins the only person missing of this Party got in wounded in both his Arms. Capt. Pawling coming up who had gone back for my sadlebags which I had left we went to Mr. Cummins 15 miles from Col. Shelbys he informed us that the Indians had attacked a Fort on Nonachucky and lost three after which they went to the house mentioned above.

DIARY OF A JOURNEY OF MORAVIANS FROM
BETHLEHEM, PENNSYLVANIA, TO BETHABARA
IN WACHOVIA, NORTH CAROLINA, 1753

putting up our tent by a creek. The man on whose land we were came to see us, was very friendly, and took supper with us. He said that he knew the Bm. Rose and Nyberg well, and that some years earlier they had preached in his house here. He was a Swede by birth. Br. Gottlob held the evening service, then we lay down around our cheerful fire, and Br.
Gottlob in his hammock, which he had swung between two stakes.

Br. Gottlob held the evening service. We for the first time tried baking bread in the ashes.

Toward noon the rain stopped and we hoped for better weather, but it began again harder than ever, and we could hardly keep a little fire burning. We changed the position of our tent and dug a ditch around it to lead off the water, but the rain beat through the tent so that in a short time everything was most unpleasantly wet, and we were up most of the night.
So life has given you a hill, get over it!

Doc Mark
Patriot Number: 224
level: Scout

Re: some tidbits from period journals

Post by Doc Mark » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:53 pm

Hey, Brother Dave,

OUTSTANDING stuff, my Friend! Thanks, very much! Great stuff about the tent, eh?! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc #224
The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.