Hunting Shirt Colors

General discussion area for people interested in the ALRA.
Ty Davis
Site Admin
Patriot Number: 198
level: Patriot

Hunting Shirt Colors

Post by Ty Davis » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:04 pm

While at the National Gathering last weekend we were talking about hunting shirt colors. Here is the link that list colors I was telling you guys about:

http://www.oldetoolshop.com/trekking/li ... olors.html
Ty Davis #198
Factor
GA St. Lt.

Doc Mark
Patriot Number: 224
level: Scout

Re: Hunting Shirt Colors

Post by Doc Mark » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:47 am

Hey, Ty,

Excellent stuff! Thanks for sharing this. My own hunting shirt is dyed pecan/brown, and I like it quite a lot. Need to wear it more often, as it's been put away in my Campaign trunk for a long time. Thanks, again, for posting this. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Mark
The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

robshilling
Patriot Number: 243

Post by robshilling » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:35 pm

Here is one I have saved.....

From the Carlisle Gazette, September 14, 1785:
"Edward O'Donnell, Rye Twp, Cumberland Co., offers reward for Irish indented servant man, John Rorke, about 35 years of age, 5 feet 6 inches, hair cut short, very yellow skin, down look, 3 fore toes of each foot remarkably longer than the rest, talks much about the sea and England, swears exceedingly, took with him a tow shirt, trousers and hunting shirt dyed with maple bark, new hat and old shores.

The book this comes from is Abstracts of South Central Pennsylvania Newspapers: 1785-1790; (Family Line Publications: Westminster, Maryland).

I take this to mean both the trousers and hunting shirt were dyed in maple bark. When I worked in the sawmill, we cut maple quite often. It would stain your hands a purplish black color. I had quit working at the mill when I found this runaway ad, but have wanted to get maple bark and dye some material to see what color it comes out.

Ty Davis
Site Admin
Patriot Number: 198

Post by Ty Davis » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:59 am

That's a good one Rob!
Ty Davis #198
Factor
GA St. Lt.