Shirts...the foundation of all comfort

General discussion area for people interested in the ALRA.
Bill Evelyn
Patriot Number: 250
level: Patriot

Shirts...the foundation of all comfort

Post by Bill Evelyn » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:24 pm

Hey, everybody

Every bit of advice for staying alive during winter romps starts with the layering technique: inner layer to wick away moisture, the middle layer to provide warmth, and the outter layer to keep the wind out. And every 18th century traveler using this technique will suggest wool as your best pal, further recommending that anything other than wool be ditched for that inner layer next to your skin.

I agree. But, I'm from the south.

I have beat the Internet silly searching for the use of wool shirts specific to the colonial south, and have come up lacking. I can find "flannel," but not much else. Slaves seemed to have had some coarse woolen clothing (Baumgarten, What Clothes Reveal), which was probably because it took longer to wear out than the linen shirts. But wool shirts are tough to come by for the southerner.

Anyone have any suggestions where to look?

Thanks,

-- Bill

dw25650
Patriot Number: 37

Re: Shirts...the foundation of all comfort

Post by dw25650 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:23 am

Not sure what filled with wool means.
Dave

Virginia Runaways: Runaway Slave advertisements from 18th-century Virginia newspapers.

Runaway Servant: Virginia Gazette (Purdie), Williamsburg, June 30, 1775. Supplement

Virginia Gazette
(Purdie), Williamsburg ,
June 30, 1775. Supplement

FINCASTLE, June 1, 1775. RUN away from the subscriber, last night, within 9 miles of English ferry, on New river, an Irish servant man named THOMAS WELSH, about 21 years old, about 5 feet 8 inches high, is well made to his height, of a fair complexion, and speaks bad English. He was clad in a hunting shirt filled with wool, buckskin breeches, linsey leggins, a wool hat, and his shoes nailed all round, both heels and soles. He has a smooth-bore gun with him, and is supposed to be along with Nathaniel Morgan's servant man. Whoever secures the said servant, so that he may be got again, shall have 50 s. reward,
if taken in the county, if out thereof 5 l. paid by
SAMUEL INGRAM.
JOSEPH MEARS.
So life has given you a hill, get over it!

Bill Evelyn

Post by Bill Evelyn » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:37 am

Hey,Dave
Thank you very much for helping me!

I have seen this before, but it means the cloth is a wool blend. I am seeking documentation on a 100% wool shirt worn by a non-slave in the colonial south. If you see a anything more, please holler!

Stay well

-- Bill

dw25650

Post by dw25650 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:10 pm

Bill,
My 1700,s copy of the Encyclopedia Britannica defines flannel "a loose sort of wollen stuff, not crossed (old double s is used), and woven on a loom like bays. Are you looking for something made out of a wool blanket?
dave

Bill Evelyn

Post by Bill Evelyn » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:12 pm

Hey, again, Dave

I am seeking to document a 100% wool shirt, much like can be found elsewhere in coloni America, but used in the south. A shirt made from a blanket would be too heavy. Slaves in Boston and the Chesepeake region had slaves with wool shirts, but I am not finding documentation for them by white men in the south.

I have found one sketchy reference to a woolen gilet worn next to the skin, under the shirt, by a Virginian.

My ultimate goal is to be warmer with a wool shirt next to my skin, upon which would be a waistcoat and jacket. Until then, I will continue to wear my wool-hemp blend shirt...and shiver in a historically accurate way!

: )

dw25650

Post by dw25650 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:44 pm

As I said lots of references to wool flannel, but only one to a wool shirt and that of a runaway slave as you have found. I find that curious. Will continue to look.
Dave