Turn back the water, Moses

General discussion area for people interested in the ALRA.
Bill Evelyn
Patriot Number: 250
level: Patriot

Turn back the water, Moses

Post by Bill Evelyn » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:05 pm

Hey, all

With all the water we've experienced this summer and fall, I have spent quite some time talking to my young (boy) scouts about how to stay dry in the southern Appalachians. That's mostly about storing your Gore-Tex near the top of your pack. Moving that discussion to the 18th century, I am interested in your opinions.

When it rains, hard, what do you do to stay dry?

I've shed my clothing, to let the skin get wet and the clothes stay rolled up and dry. But that was July, not February.

I have retreated to a rock overhang or cowered under a proud evergreen. But never in a lightening storm.

Mostly, though, I have gotten soaked to the bone. But, that's life.

What advice, appropriate to the 18th century, can you suggest?

Thanks,

-- Bill

j.k.stanley
Patriot Number: 138

Re: Turn back the water, Moses

Post by j.k.stanley » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:30 pm

That sounds about right Bill, soaked to the bone!! HAHA. About the only thing I have found is a half wool blanket,(matchcoat), You stay warm but still soaked! HAHA. Probably the only real way to stay dry would be to stay in the cabin, and I bet some of them were plenty wet inside in the 18th century when it rained! One of those duck coats like everyone is wearing work okay but they come with added cost of weight if you are trekking. If on a horse, no big deal. I have tried oilskin and they are like tents ok till you touch them. So they don't work to well to wear because you are always touching them, LOL. My 2 cents Bill, take care!!

Ken

Ty Davis
Site Admin
Patriot Number: 198

Post by Ty Davis » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:53 am

Wet and cold are period appropriate!

There is the painted watch shirt in Bouquet's book but I bet you'd be as wet under from sweat as from rain outside.
Ty Davis #198
Factor
GA St. Lt.

ALRA 154
Patriot Number: 154

Post by ALRA 154 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:44 pm

Del,...... do you want to tell us about touching the tent.................. :lol:
Tom

Delbert Hupp #169
Patriot Number: 169
level: Scout

Post by Delbert Hupp #169 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:50 pm

No.....not really! :roll:
Delbert Hupp #169
Missouri St. Lt.

Never argue with the stupid!........They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

dw25650
Patriot Number: 37

Post by dw25650 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:31 am

I've never had much luck with linseed oil because it doesn't dry completely without a drying agent. The only one I can find is Japan drier. I don't mind wet and I don't mind cold, or at least I didn't use to. But wet and cold do me in. Wool is best for me. Also, I can stand being wet if my feet are mostly dry.

Pennsylvania Archives, Series 2, volume 15

Journal of Ennion Williams on His Journey to the American Camp at Cambridge in New England
Page 7. October 4th, 1775. “Left Philadelphia in company with my brother and Mr. P. Lloyd, passed through Bristol, Trenton, & c., and arrived in the evening at Princton in health tho’ it rained all day: the oil cloth sleeves which cover arms and shoulders prevents the rain and I think every traveler who has occasion to ride in the rain will find it of great service.”

In a letter from Major Geogre Scott to Lord Loudon written on Feb. 13,
1758 about the uniforming and accoutering of Rangers, wrote about a cloke
of painted canvas lined with bays. He wrote the rangers with clokes
"have no occasion for greatcoats or blankets as the cloke more than
answers all the intentions of the former is little more than half the
weight and never grows heavy by rain or snow, and when they lie down to
rest they have only to lie heads and points & lay their heads and fet in
each other cloke. The painted canvas of their cloke's will keep the damp
from their bodies and the bays lining will keep them warm..."
Your Most Humble and Obedient Servant
Rick Seidemann

18th Century apparel / First hand accounts
from The Annals of Philadelphia
by John F. Watson
Pub.1830
Doctor Chanceller and the Rev. Mr. Duche were the first per-
sons in Philadelphia who were ever seen to wear umbrellas to keep
off the rain. They were of oiled linen, very coarse and clumsy,
with ratan sticks. Before their time, some doctors and ministers
used an oiled linen cape hooked round their shoulders, looking not
unlike the big coat-capes now in use, and then called a roquelaue.
It was only used for severe storms.

Method of Making Leather Impervious to Water (1795)

The New England fisherman preserve their boots tight against water by the following method, which, it is said, has been in use among them above a hundred years. A pint of boiled linseed-oil, half a pound of mutton suet, six ounces of clean beeswax, and four ounces of rosin are melted and mixed over a fire. Of this, while warm, not so hot as may burn the leather, with a brush, lay plentifully on new boots or shoes, when they are quite dry and clean. The leather is left pliant. Fisherman stand in their boots, in water, hour after hour, without inconvenience. For three years past, all my shoes, even of calf skin, have so been served; and have, in no instance admitted water to pass through the leather. It is also a good salve - a Basilicon. From the American Almanac for the year 1796 - Pr. Abraham Blaudelt - New Brunswick, New Jersey, 1795 Referene
Ellen McCrady, "Research on the Dressing and Preservation of Leather". Abbey Newsletter, vol.5, No.2: 23-25, April 1981.
So life has given you a hill, get over it!

Doc Mark
Patriot Number: 224
level: Scout

Post by Doc Mark » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:29 pm

Hey, Dave,

Outstanding stuff, Sir!!! Excellent reports. Like you, I've found wool to be best, in cold, and in wet. Hey, it works, and though maybe not as comfortable and warm as if you had stayed home by the fire, it's far better than any alternative I've yet found. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Mark

P.S. Dave, are you thinking about Fort Fred? Give me a shout, if you want to discuss the logistics.
The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.