Fighting the hair ribbon wars!

General discussion area for people interested in the ALRA.
Doc Mark
Patriot Number: 224
level: Scout

Fighting the hair ribbon wars!

Post by Doc Mark » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:54 pm

Greetings, All,

I played music professionally for about 30 years, and never had long hair. Most folks said I looked like a cross between an English teacher, and a Narc!! <LOL!!> However, when we first became serious about the Living History hobby, I decided it would be good for me to grow my hair, to better fit into the persona I was trying to establish. In almost all of the years since I first needed to used one, I've never found a proper hair tie/ribbon that would look right, and stay in my hair!! My hair is very fine, and just doesn't "grab" onto any of the ties/ribbons I'd tried. So, for many years, I hid a plastic bungie at the end of my braid, and tied a silk ribbon over it, hoping to hide it.

Fast forward to the Fort DeChartres Spring Event and Rifle Frolic a few months ago. Ty Davis and I were discussing myriad topics our little ALRA camp, when I mentioned this problem to him. He immediately went to his pack, and returned with a length of worsted wool ribbon/binding, which he was sure would offer the "bite" needed to stay put in fine hair, rather than slip off. I think he said that Captain Titus, at Martin's Station, had recommended that to him, and that it worked perfectly for him. And, so, I gave it a try, and WOW, what a difference!! I immediately went over to a Sutler at that event, and bought several widths of worsted wool binding, which continues to work perfectly, all without having to resort to modern things underneath it!! At a recent event out this way, I even slept with the wool in my hair, the next morning it was still right where I'd tied it the morning before!!

Many thanks to Captain Ty, and back to Captain Titus, for having passed along this outstanding suggestion for holding long hair in place, without the problems of slipping that other ribbons have!!! I am VERY pleased to leave yet one more modern anachronism at home, and confidently use this great binding in it's proper place!! Ahhh, the little things that bring pleasure and happiness.....!! :lol: ;) Thought I would pass this suggestion along, to any others that, like me, have been fighting and losing the hair ribbon wars in our hobby!! Thanks, again, Ty! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc Mark
ALRA #224
CA LT
The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Bill Evelyn
Patriot Number: 250
level: Patriot

Re: Fighting the hair ribbon wars!

Post by Bill Evelyn » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:28 pm

Doc M,

Ty shared with me that same bit of information some months back. Unlike you, however, I've yet to pick up some wool tape. I have used cotton tape without success and have had to cut leather out of my hair. Mostly, I've just let it fly every which way from under my hat. I'll be a ribbon kid soon, too. Fare thee well to uncouth hair.

Take care,

-- Bill

Doc Mark
Patriot Number: 224
level: Scout

Post by Doc Mark » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:00 pm

Howdy, Bill,

"Uncouth hair", indeed!! :lol:

I can't recall the Sutler from whom I bought the worsted wool tape/binding at the Spring event at Fort DeChartres, but I'm sure you can find some near wherever you live. I think you will be very happy to did, as was I. My hair is very fine, and if I just let it go, it would be "death by 1,000 knots" in a very short time!! Happy hunting, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc
The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Ty Davis
Site Admin
Patriot Number: 198
level: Patriot

Post by Ty Davis » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:52 am

I'm glad it is working out for you.

There is an 18'th century solution to almost all 18'th century problems.
Ty Davis #198
Factor
GA St. Lt.