Brass snare wire gauge?

General discussion area for people interested in the ALRA.
Doc Mark
Patriot Number: 224
level: Scout

Brass snare wire gauge?

Post by Doc Mark » Tue May 01, 2012 7:35 pm

Greetings, All,

I have been considering adding some very thin brass wire to my woods kit, to use as a snare, if needed. What gauge brass wire would work best for this? How long a piece will do the trick? We use .32mm/.013" brass wire in our business, and I was wondering if that's too thin. What do you think? I'd appreciate hearing from those that have made successful use of such wire as a snare. Thanks, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc
The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

dw25650
Patriot Number: 37
level: Patriot

Re: Brass snare wire gauge?

Post by dw25650 » Sun May 06, 2012 1:46 pm

Mark,
I have used snares albeit not too successfully. I presently have a coil of 24 gauge wire that supposed to be sufficient. I would not go lighter. I have commercial snares that are of small diameter cable used for coyotes, etc. 32 gauge should work but might be a little stiff. Be sure and check trapping regulations in CA concerning the use of snares or, for that matter, the time of the year to be used. In Nebraska you cannot use them on state lands during upland game bird season.
So life has given you a hill, get over it!

Doc Mark
Patriot Number: 224
level: Scout

Re: Brass snare wire gauge?

Post by Doc Mark » Wed May 09, 2012 7:38 pm

Evening, Brother Dave,

Thanks, very much, for your suggestion and advice. In THIS State, you can be sure I'll check all the restrictions, of which I am certain there are many, before actually putting this into action. Looking forward to seeing you and your Bride soon!! Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Mark
The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.