We've lost another ALRA Brother.

General discussion area for people interested in the ALRA.
Doc Mark
Patriot Number: 224
level: Scout

We've lost another ALRA Brother.

Post by Doc Mark » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:18 am

My Dear ALRA Brothers and Sisters,

It is my sad duty to inform you all that we’ve lost another Brother in the ALRA. Bradley Preston, ALRA #165, of Naperville, IL, passed away yesterday morning, Tuesday, April 25, 2012, of a massive and very sudden heart attack. Phyllis, his Bride, and also an ALRA Patriot member, #166, was working away from home, and only found out about this sad news when Brad did not answer her calls at night. She tried again the next morning, to no avail, then called their doctor’s office, where Brad had been scheduled for kidney dialysis the morning, before, and again that morning. He had missed both appointments. So, Phyllis called the Naperville Police, and it was they who made entry in the Preston home, where they found Bradley lying on the floor, with his faithful 100 lb. German Shepherd, Manfred., loyally and tenderly watching over him. The police told Phyllis that Manfred was actually helpful, and seemed very glad to see them. Later, the Coroner told her that, from all indications, it appears Brad’s heart attack was so sudden and severe, that he passed away almost immediately, with little to no discomfort.

I’ve been thinking about Brad and Phyllis all night since talking to Phyllis, and decided to pen a few thoughts about Bradley for our Gazette and ALRA web site. Lady Cynthia and I first met Brad and Phyllis many years ago, at our very first Fort Niagara, NY, event. After spending 7 hours on a plane, trying to get to the Fort, then getting in very late, the Fort was mostly in a state of peaceful slumber, except for a young couple who was STILL manning the volunteer table for any late comers, such as us! We approached them and told them who we were, and asked if they had any idea where the ALRA was encamped. Brad said, “Heck, we can do better than that, we will take you right to the wedge tent that will be your home for the next couple of days”! And, so they did, and so began a genuine friendship that has lasted all these years since!

At Niagara, and also at Fort Ticonderoga, we met up with Brad and Phyllis, and later her son, Chris, every single year for the next five in a row, and we always enjoyed seeing them and sharing the event together. Here is a photo taken in June of 2000. Left to right are: Joseph Ruckman, VA, Ellis Delahoy, NY, Christine Ruckman, VA, Eddie and Gail Hicks, NJ, Phyllis and Brad Preston, IL, and Lady Cynthia and Doc Mark Rutledge, CA. Check the grin on Brad. He’s grinned like that every time we’ve ever seen him! His “signature grin”, so to speak!

We all had a lot of fun at that first event, including nights spent in the Ruckman’s Dog and Pony Tavern, partaking of Joseph’s special rum punch, and singing songs until we could no longer keep our eyes open! Brad’s consistently knife-edged sense of humor was the genesis of many good laughs, and also almost got he and I kicked out of an Officer’s Call at Fort Niagara, when Major George Bray tired of our antics! I’ll bet Ellis, who was the NY LT at that time was really sorry he asked Brad and me to attend the meeting that morning! Phyllis later said that the two of us were actually “twin brothers, from different mothers, separated at birth for the good of the world”! Hey, there might be a small kernel of truth in that statement!

The ALRA members present at that event, fought in the battle each day under the colors of The Johnson’s Scouts, and we all learned some valuable lessons in those scenarios, examples of which are things like:
- NEVER “die” in front of the cannon!
- If you can’t load and fire quickly, you WILL be left behind!
- Too much punch from the Dog and Pony Tavern does not a good soldier make!
And, also, events like Niagara and Ticonderoga, are very, very special, in many different ways, all of which create memories that will remain with you for life! Back row, left to right; Brad Preston and Phyllis’ son, Chris Anderson.
Front row, left to right: Jesse Daiute, Doc Mark Rutledge, and my friend Mark Daiute.

Personally, I will remember Brad as a man who never knew the meaning of not having a good time. Quick of wit, and sometimes maybe a “tad” over the top, Bradley put his entire heart and soul into every good moment he enjoyed. At the moment he passed away, Brad was busy preparing cartridge papers for the upcoming Manskers Station event, which he was very much looking forward to attending. There will never be another person like Brad Preston, and I will very much miss that crazy laugh of his, and yes, that devilish grin that he is wearing in the group photo I’ve shared with you!

Brad will be cremated, and a visitation service will be held this Saturday, April 28, 2012, at Beidelman-Kunsch Funeral Home, 516 S. Washington St., Naperville, IL, from 2 PM to 8 PM, with a Memorial Service at 7 PM. Anyone wishing to send flowers, can send them to the address above. Brad and Phyllis had discussed this sort of thing, and decided that any donations that might be sent on Brad’s behalf, be sent either to The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, or The Mount Vernon Ladies Association, with their sincere and grateful thanks!!

Brad would have been 55 years old this coming June, and he and Phyllis were married for 17 happy and joy-filled years, as of this past Sunday, April 22, 2012. His passing has taken a truly unique ALRA Brother, who was definitely his own character, from us, but he will live on in our memories of happier times. I suggested to Phyllis that Brad would probably get a huge kick out of it, if she loaded up a few .45-70 rounds with some of his ashes, and fired them off at some event!!! Phyllis likes the idea, and she’s thinking about it....! If you wish to contact Phyllis, her email is: stamm1750(at)yahoo(dot)com. May God Bless Brad, and also Phyllis, Chris, and all their family members, and friends, in this time of sadness.

Respectfully,

Doc Mark Rutledge
ALRA #224
Western Partisan
The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

rstickle
Patriot Number: 145
level: Patriot

Re: We've lost another ALRA Brother.

Post by rstickle » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:24 am

Sad news indeed. RIP Brad...
Rick Stickle #145
Maryland