18th Century Skills Competition

General discussion area for people interested in the ALRA.
Doc Mark
Patriot Number: 224
level: Scout

Re: 18th Century Skills Competition

Post by Doc Mark » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:52 pm

Hi, Keystone,

Don't know if I had the pleasure of meeting you at last year's Western Gathering, but I am the Western Partisan, and can answer any questions you might have about our event. Also, James Chandler, the Utah LT, can help with any info you might need.

As to competitions at the Western Gathering, which is once again being held in October, we'll have a rifle shoot, pistol shoot, skills competition, possibly Simon's Gauntlet, which is setup as an advancement event for ALRA members, and a candle shoot, which will, or course, be held at night, wind allowing. There will, of course, be impromptu shooting, too, along with a few seminars, during the week of our event. It would be nice to have a smooth bore shoot, too, but so far, that's not been planned.

As you probably know, since this is an ALRA event, our members are held to a certain standard of authenticity, and as you are now Probationary Members, your Sponsor can help you with any questions along those lines, or you can also ask me, or post them here at the ALRA site. Basically, your outward camp must be kept to a period correct standard. If you have other things that you need to use, we will be expected to keep those items hidden from sight, inside our tents. If you have questions about such things, please give me, James, or your Sponsor a shout, and we'll do our best to help.

By the way, welcome to the ALRA!! I'm sure you and your wife will find our Family in the West to be filled with good, sharing, helpful, and folks, and we're big on family involvement out this way! I look forward to seeing you (again!) at our Western Gathering, and helping with any questions you might have about our event, or the ALRA in general. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc Mark Rutledge
ALRA #224
Western Partisan
The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Keystone
level: Probationary

Post by Keystone » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:34 pm

Thank you for the information. We look forward to meeting you also.
We have been portraying Colonial Pennsylvania Dutch for a few years, always trying to be as authentic as possible. I think we are okay, but look forward to getting feed back.

Ty Davis
Site Admin
Patriot Number: 198
level: Patriot

Post by Ty Davis » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:13 pm

It looks like the 2011 WG is shaping up to be a big event!
Ty Davis #198
Factor
GA St. Lt.

Keystone

Post by Keystone » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:26 pm

Last year at the October event there was a young man who treated silk with something that made it like wax paper. It was to keep bread fresh. Does anyone know what it was or how to keep bread, etc fresh - period correct. (Keystone's wife)

Doc Mark

Post by Doc Mark » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:13 am

Good Morning, Mrs Keystone,

Thank you for posting this question on the ALRA site. I'm not sure who that might have been, but if you describe them to me, I can get a good idea of who it was. Might have been Wendell Smith and his wife, Beth, as they did a nice seminar on colonial cooking and period foods. If it was Wendell, he is the State LT from Colorado, and I can put you in touch with him. Lady Cynthia and I use a combination of waxed paper and cheese cloth to keep our breads and such fresh, and that seems to work very well. But, tell me more about the young fellow about whom ask, and I will help put you in touch with whomever that turns out to be. If you come to this years Western, be sure to introduce yourselves to me. I may have met you last year, but do not remember the name "Keystone". Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc Mark
ALRA #224
Western Partisan
The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

j.k.stanley
Patriot Number: 138
level: Patriot

Post by j.k.stanley » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:06 pm

I believe you are speaking of Larry Hall. That would be my speculation. I will get his "recipe" for that.

Keystone

Post by Keystone » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:30 pm

We were only there for a few hours. I was there for Wendell's presentation and he really inspired me. It was a younger kid that that the treated silk wrap for bread. It was probably Larry Hall mentioned below. I am sure my husband would have introduced himself as Bruce Houser. We look forward to putting faces to names and seeing how everybody does things....like keep bread fresh. I must confess in the past I have used a zip lock covered with a period bag. We have posted Ty Davis's list of what ALRA is not on the fridge and are gonna plug away at it. --Marge

Doc Mark

Post by Doc Mark » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:05 pm

Good Evening, Marge,

Great to meet you, and I think I did meet at least Bruce, if not you, at last year's Western. I hope to see you again this year, and if you do drop by, please come by and say, "Hi". I'd love to sit and talk with you both for a while, if you would like to do that. Having Capt Ty's list on your 'fridge is a fun idea, and a very worthy one. I either of you have any questions, please to not hesitate to contact me, or any other of our State Lieutenants. As you live in Utah, James Chandler, who is a very good friend of mine, is the ST LT from Utah. If you have not met him already, which you very probably have, I can introduce you at the Western this year. Lots of other outstanding members from Utah, and so you are in one of the finest State groups in the ALRA, in my humble opinion!! Thanks, again, for jumping in there, and I look forward to seeing you both in October! If you can plan to spend at least a night with us, and don't have a tent, another fine friend, Gregg Hansen, is once again setting up his wedge tent hotels, for those who arrive with no place to hang their hat and roll out their blankets!! We'd love to have you stay the night with us, and meet many of your friends in the Utah group, and our other fine members, as well!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Keystone

Post by Keystone » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:38 pm

We sold our modify pyramid and bought a wall tent. We plan to spend the weekend in October. what is the actual date.

Doc Mark

Post by Doc Mark » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:28 am

Good Morning, Marge,

That sounds outstanding! The dates for our 2011 ALRA Western Gathering will be October 12-16, with early arrival on the 11th for those that would like that extra day. I will be posting a tentative schedule of events in another thread, soon. It would be wonderful to have you guys with us for the weekend, and if you have any questions about your camp, and required authenticity, please give me a shout, or contact James Chandler, the Utah State LT. I look forward to seeing you guys at this years Western. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc Mark