Colorado Winter Scout 2011 report

General discussion area for people interested in the ALRA.
wksmith106
Patriot Number: 106
level: Scout

Colorado Winter Scout 2011 report

Post by wksmith106 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:39 am

Colorado Winter Scout 2011 After-Action Report

February 20, 1777 (2011)

As we assembled at our designated rendezvous point, we were all apprehensive as to what lay ahead. We had been assigned to reconnoiter an area near a lake where it was suspected that the British and Loyalists had been active for some reason. We were to capture and interrogate any we came across, otherwise we were to stay out of sight and avoid conflict.
Our company consisted of members of the 2nd Connecticut regiment of Militia, with attached scouts. David RT Brown, half Mohawk with the 2nd CT, Scott McCollough, corporal with the 2nd CT, Myself, Wendell K. Smith, company officer with the 2nd CT, and two attached scouts, Eric Hill and Warren Arnsdorf. The next day another was to join us, Gary Spoering.
The old road leading to the area hadn’t been in use for several years, and was blown clear of snow in many areas, but in the areas with snow, it had drifted and was deep in some spots. We loaded our bedrolls and some gear onto a small sledge, donned our snowshoes and proceeded on our task. The road led upwards and a moderate slope, but the going was difficult is some places due to the mix of snow and bare ground. As we neared the summit, we found that the snow was much deeper and prevalent. We turned off this old road and now followed a trace northward. On this higher ground, the trees were plentiful and the snow had formed large drifts, some over 4 feet deep. We continued for a short distance, and found a secluded spot protected from the wind and which had much deadfall for firewood. We were still far enough away from the area we were to scout, and still close enough for a quick escape should we be set upon by the enemy. Without debate of much discussion, we set up our camp. It is a pleasant task to be with men of experience who know what needs to be done. There was no complaining. Rather than cut saplings or poles. We stretched rope between several trees and used tarpaulins to create a small hovel there in an area mostly clear of snow. Some set up the shelter, while others gathered wood. All seemed to know just what to do.
After setting up camp, we lit out on the first patrol. We followed the old trace northwards, towards Bellaire Lake. It was overcast and soon began to snow lightly. The snow was different than what any of us had encountered before. It had been very cold, followed by a few days of very warm, then cold again. This created a 2 inch layer of crust which covered very mushy snow underneath. We had to take care while walking in our snowshoe, as the tips would catch under the crust and trip us. This resulted in many unplanned plunges into the deep snow. Only by using our firelocks as braces were we able to regain our upright postures. While we continued on, it was evident that there had been much activity late in the fall by persons unknown. A large area had been cleared with great stores of firewood put away. We suspect that this is preparations for a spring offensive by the enemy (Actually it was a forest service campground). As each of us got tired from breaking trail, we traded off being first. After a while we heard crashing noises to our right, with branches breaking. We crouched in the snow to see under the tree branches and also to be less visible. The noises stopped and we slowly continued. We started hearing woodpeckers in the distance, eating what they could before the weather got worse. It was still snowing lightly. Then there was a loud cracking noise. Those of us in the front of the column turned around to see the two in the rear standing there looking around and trying to keep their balance. The snow on which they were standing had broken a large area of crust, not just the immediate area on which they stood, but a section over twenty feet in diameter. The crust breaking was the large noise we had heard.
One of our scouts, Eric Hill had now taken point. As we neared a small gully, and the trail got steeper, we found what had made the crashing noises from earlier on. A large bed used by an elk was there, with its tracks leading off parallel to our trail. It was getting late, so we turned around and went back to camp. The return trip took its toll on us, and we were very tired when we arrived back at camp. Each of us began to look after our gear, put on dry stockings, and cook dinner. Between the five of us, we had venison tenderloin, venison ribs, cheese, bread, and sausage. Some boiled tea and coffee. Another prepared chocolate. After talking for a while, we turned in. During the night we took turns feeding the fire and listening for wildlife and the enemy.
The snow stopped a couple of hours after dark, and the wind picked up. Our campsite was a good one, and we were spared the brunt of the wind. The full moon provided us with nighttime vistas that were beautiful. Most stayed warm throughout the night, with only cold toes by morning. The fire was stoked and breakfast cooked. Fresh fried bread, jowl bacon, cheese, oat porridge and fried buffalo tongue was the fare of the morning. More coffee, tea, and boiled chocolate was also prepared. After cleaning up, we returned to the top of the hill by the old road. There, I removed my snowshoes and went back to the rendezvous point to see if our 6th party member was there. He wasn’t so I returned to the others waiting my arrival. They had done some scout about during my absence. I also found that I was experiencing the results of much exertion and lack of snowshoeing preparation. In short, my hip joints were killing me! We returned to camp, were Dave brown and I elected to stay to await the arrival of Gary, while the others went back towards the lake for some additional scouting. Gary arrived some time later, and the others did as well. They had not had contact with the enemy. We decided that our accomplishments were sufficient, so we broke camp. We took a slightly different route on the way back, skirting the road and staying in the cover of the trees. I cut trail, and two went by the road. The others pulled the loaded sledge and had a rough time of it. Each of them went into the snow at least three times. When we arrived at the starting point, we unloaded the sledge packed our gear away and went our separate ways.
I cannot give enough praise for the stamina and character of my companions. All are men of integrity and strength. This was Eric Hill’s first outing with others, and he did great. Our gear was tested and methods refined. I found a way of binding my snowshoes that worked better than what I had previously been using. I could not have asked for a scout that was more enjoyable. The scenery was without peer, and the feeling that we had Friday late afternoon was fantastic. I am humbled to have been in the company of such great guys.

Your servant,
Wendell K. Smith
2nd Connecticut Regiment of Militia
ALRA #106
Wendell K. Smith
ALRA #106

Foushee1
Patriot Number: 238
level: Woodsman

Re: Colorado Winter Scout 2011 report

Post by Foushee1 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:55 am

Great report Wendell. I'm glad to see in the last few entries of this site that a little snow doesn't stop good soles to get out and taste the adventure. Keep it up! ...... Wendell, the invitation to Washington this year still stands. It would be great for you to join us.
Cal Foreman
ALRA #238
Oregon St. Lt.
"Master Woodsman"

"Nobody can aquire honor by doing what is wrong" Thomas Jefferson

wksmith106
Patriot Number: 106

Post by wksmith106 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:27 pm

Hey Cal,
Probably won't make it to the NCRA CE, but we plan on being there in August for the 2nd CT grand militia muster.
Wendell K. Smith
ALRA #106

Doc Mark
Patriot Number: 224

Post by Doc Mark » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:59 pm

Good Morning, Wendell,

Happy Sunday, my Friend!! Thanks, very much, for posting your fine report here. I really enjoyed reading of your adventures, and how you dealt with the elements, and other such things, and I'm sure everyone else did, too. Thanks, again, for sharing your scout with us, and here's to many more. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc Mark
Western Partisan
The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.