Help me identify old Musket

General discussion area for people interested in the ALRA.
rost495

Help me identify old Musket

Post by rost495 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:49 pm

32 inch barrel. Front sight is a brass screw, slot still in top....

side of lock 1864, US,AMOSKE....Mfg com, Man.......lr, NH

Barrel has no mark at all on it.

IF its a fowling piece and I need to find a proof mark I"m assuming its the one pin up front by the ?? pewter?? forend cap. Drive out like a TC gun etc...?

Ramrod metal, goes to a point sorta.... convex tip on it for the seater end.

IF its a fowling piece... whtas the value range?

More interesting... forgot I did find a mark on top of the barrel... looks like 258 on the rear left (non lock ) side. In the flats of the octagon part.

Pulled it like I thought... more info... Dunno what it means at all... but bottom center is WW and at back by tang under is R.S.A. The WW could have something between or tied into them. The R could be a K or H even.

Originally was thinking it was a bored out civil war 58 cal musket..... but may just be pieced together shotgun basically.... .633 bore diameter best I can measure.
Trying to work loads, shoot and have an old collector. Value ideas appreciated. We know if it was a 58 bored out its not worth maybe 300-400 bucks max.

Thanks, Jeff

Ty Davis
Site Admin
Patriot Number: 198
level: Patriot

Re: Help me identify old Musket

Post by Ty Davis » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:57 am

Jeff,

Some of our members may be able to give you some information on this gun, but I believe you would be better served at http://www.americanlongrifles.com.
Ty Davis #198
Factor
GA St. Lt.

Ricky Roberts

Post by Ricky Roberts » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:57 pm

The trigger guard, lock and rear of the stock indicates this started out as a 58 caliber civil war musket. It was common, after the war, for military muskets to be sporterized like this.

j.k.stanley
Patriot Number: 138

Post by j.k.stanley » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:40 am

There was a surplus store in new york after the civil war that reworked alot of thewe old muskets. It has some resemblences to a springfield. However the lock plate would be marked if that were the case. I would almost think confederate.

You could trace it by the barrel proof marks if you really want to get serious about it. It will take some time and a very knowledgable person to help with that.

Thanks for the view, It is a cool old gun nice find!!

Eggs

j.k.stanley

Post by j.k.stanley » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:42 am

Sorry meant the lock marks not the barrel marks. do you think the "RSA" could be CSA Confederate States Of America "huzzah"

Eggs

rost495

Post by rost495 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:56 pm

it could be CSA... but the lock is marked US.... captured is possible. Though the first letter looks like a few letters but not so much like a C.

Not that it matters much to me. Now its what is a safe load? 50 grains seems fine so far but I'd feel better pushing that ball with around 70 but we MIGHT find out this coming weekend if lucky.

j.k.stanley

Post by j.k.stanley » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:43 pm

Without a "competant" gunsmith giving a look see I would no way shoot it. It looks ok in the pics however the breech should be inspected!