turkey loads in smoothebores

General discussion area for people interested in the ALRA.
trapper Bergerson
Patriot Number: 152
level: Hunter

turkey loads in smoothebores

Post by trapper Bergerson » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:46 pm

I am trying to work up a good load for turkey hunting in my Dan Caywood 12 guage english fowler. what are some loads that any members have tried to use and the results. I am just guessing here but I plan to start with a 1 1/4 ounce of 6 shot behind about 80 grains of ff powder. plan to use felt wads. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Trapper Bergerson, St. Ltn - MN, #152

Ty Davis
Site Admin
Patriot Number: 198
level: Patriot

Re: turkey loads in smoothebores

Post by Ty Davis » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:37 am

I haven't developed a turkey load but I use 60 grains powder and a charger and a half of #6 for small game. I suggest to start with your normal powder charge and a charger and a half to two chargers of shot to start with. Shoot it at a large paper target to see what kind of pattern you are getting. Be mindful to sure you don't donut your pattern. If you aren't getting any shot in the center you probably have too much powder.

I remain,
Ty Davis #198
Factor
GA St. Lt.

Delbert Hupp #169
Patriot Number: 169
level: Scout

Post by Delbert Hupp #169 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:00 pm

You'll need to experiment around a little, but I have found that the" 2 scoop rule ",as a friend of mine calls it, works very well. The "rule " is whatever your powder load is ,double that in a shot load. (example 70Gr. of powder/140Gr. of shot) I have used this in several of my smoothbores and although it kicks alittle, it works great, I have killed several turkey and squirrel with such a load. Also, I do not use a cushion wad, only over powder and overshot cards. But as previously stated, you'll need to experiment and find the load combo your gun likes. Hope this helps.
Delbert Hupp #169
Missouri St. Lt.

Never argue with the stupid!........They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

flintlock62

Post by flintlock62 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:15 pm

I find #5 shot patterns very well.

dw25650
Patriot Number: 37

Post by dw25650 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:55 pm

I like the 6 shot in a 1 1/2 to 2 volume shot to 1 of powder in my 20 guage Tulle. I like as many shot in he pattern as I can get as I always go for a head shot. It doesn't take a lot of heavy shot to penetrate the head and neck. That load and a trick I use is extremely lethal.

Dave Wade #37
So life has given you a hill, get over it!

Ty Davis
Site Admin
Patriot Number: 198

Post by Ty Davis » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:58 am

Okay Dave, I'll bite. What is the "trick"?
Ty Davis #198
Factor
GA St. Lt.

Delbert Hupp #169
Patriot Number: 169
level: Scout

Post by Delbert Hupp #169 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:27 am

#6 Shot is all I ever use, patterns great, gets good range and has killed everything I have shot at. My guns dont pattern as well with #4 or #5 shot. But there again, you got to find what your gun likes.
Delbert Hupp #169
Missouri St. Lt.

Never argue with the stupid!........They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

trapper Bergerson
Patriot Number: 152
level: Hunter

Post by trapper Bergerson » Sun May 30, 2010 8:18 am

well I had a great hunting season as I got three nice birds in four states, a merriam in Montana, a rio cross in Kansas and a eastern in Iowa with the smoothbore. the bird in Kansas was 24 pounds. Am planning next seasons hunt already and hope to take in Florida to complete the slam. Thanks for your input. Trapper