Introduction from Prospective Member

General discussion area for people interested in the ALRA.
Bill Wienecke

Introduction from Prospective Member

Post by Bill Wienecke » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:37 pm

Dear ALRA Members,

It was suggested to me that I post a profile of myself as a prospective member of the ALRA. I posted on Yahoo.groups but it was suggested that I post here as well. To those of you who picked this up on Yahoo - you can skip this.

I am proud to say that I am a friend of Sean Bleakley. Sean is among the most highly respected and talented members in our regiment and the entire Revolutionary War community. Sean has spoken most highly of the ALRA and its members. The integrity that the organization maintains and the fine caliber of individuals he has spoken of has drawn me to apply for membership. The fact that Sean is an ALRA member, to me, speaks volumes in itself.

I am 54 and a history teacher at the Somers Middle school in Somers, N.Y. I am a member of the 5th NY Revolutionary War Reg't, The NY Provincials F&I and Duryee's 5th NY (http://www.zouave.org) Reg't. I have gotten involved in reenacting as a way to make history "come alive" to my students. I have learned a great deal from Sean, and am sure that, if I am accepted into the ALRA, I will learn much more about 18C. life and skills that I can take back to my students.

If I might introduce you to the 5th - the web site for our Rev. War regiment is www.5thny.org Here you will find many links. In our Gallery you can see pictures of the regiment in the field. If you go to Links and from there to the Living History Education Foundation - go to Somers Middle School and you can see some shots of our Living History Day at my school - this may get you my school event as well:
http://www.livinghistoryed.org/WebAlbum ... /index.htm

In the reenacting community, I have discovered the great dedication our folks have to making history come alive for the public and I was fortunate to have had may presenters/reenactors on campus with a full encampment on the front grounds of our school the past two years - from members of my 5th NY Duryee's Civil War unit to guys from our 5th Rev. War outfit, members of the 42nd Foot, 150th NY, to blacksmiths to weavers as well as many of our teachers and veterans, community leaders etc. Part of the day was to honor the memory of the American soldier, but also members of our town's protective service members on the eve of Memorial Day. Chris DePasquale was one of my presenters - another most respected member of our 5th NY and Rev. War community. In the pictures - I am G. Washington - one day at least where I can pull rank! (Forgive the appearance of a wrist watch and several points of the GW persona that are out - it was a busy morning and GW is a work in progress!) God willing, we will have our 3rd annual Living History Day May 27, 2010. Forgive me - I've gotten carried away!

I hope to one day meet many of you that Sean has spoken so highly of - your reputation precedes you!

God's speed,
Bill Wienecke

Doc Mark
Patriot Number: 224
level: Scout

Re: Introduction from Prospective Member

Post by Doc Mark » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:45 am

Good Morning, Bill,

Welcome to the ALRA! As you have already found, NY has a large number of dedicated, friendly, and very helpful members, and you will have no problems in getting any help you may need. Sean is a very good friend, and can definitely steer you in the right direction with your ALRA Bib! Best of luck, and if I can be of any help, at all, please don't hesitate to give me a shout. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc Mark #224
Western Partisan
The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.